Oxford, MS

Continuing on my MS-New Orleans trip, I headed west on Mississippi's Highway 6, traveling from Tupelo to Oxford, home to the famous Square Books.





Oxford is also the home of the University of Mississippi and many illustrious writers, including William Faulkner, Barry Hannah, Larry Brown, and, for a time, Willie Morris, John Grisham, Lynn Pruett and John Brandon! In addition, the store is the home to the beloved Thacker Mountain radio.
Cody Morrison, the book buyer (below), and I sat up in the office of Square's founder, Richard Howorth. Richard, after being elected mayor, was nominated by President Obama to be a member of the Board of Directors of the Tennessee Valley Authority!



I love working with Cody; not only is he a top notch book buyer, but he has also become, like so many of the people I have the honor to work with, a good friend.
I came to this bookstore on my first road trip as a publisher's rep, which was 20 years ago this year. My daughter Julia was with me on that trip; she was 6 years old back then and we had quite the adventure together. She was so patient while I spent hours sitting in bookstores and selling the hot books of 1992. She also charmed everyone she met with her intelligence and beauty. Thanks Jules.



   


Comments

Popular Posts