A semi-retrospective





 A semi-retrospective from previous posts of some of the places I've been and wonderful bookstores and booksellers of the South. I don't have photos of you all so please forgive any omissions.








The beautiful Pass Christian Books in Pass Christian, MS, right on the gulf coast.




Here is owner Scott Naugle (the big, muscular, good lookin' guy on the right) with his top notch staff (from l-r) Dana Kinderma, Nate Lagarde and Annette McBride.


Scuppernong Books in downtown Greensboro, NC





 Scuppernong's Brian Lampkin with Kira Larson, the Children's Book Buyer, just waiting to serve you a nice cold beer (but not too many).



ACappella Books, deep in the heart of Atlanta.



 ACappella's essential Glen Thrasher and famous author and owner Frank Reiss.




                           
                                       BookLink is my account in the Miami airport.



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi8sgmcLIMnMonH9MwDoNROR8AqJjRaIU3Nhtqn-oncspRzsL_NhCg2iuxdddHE7HhSL7ksk6DN8aRPXdrGpi7wa6JjzU0qAaDFjh0e1Evna3_GmIwNcxMyYwaCajegW97ycPcTUqZ36uoz/s1600/IMG_2763.JPG
Here I am with the assistant manager Katherine Wakefield and wunderkind manager/book buyer James Knowles.





Well, this store isn't actually in my territory but I will always have a soft spot for it in my heart.



 The ultra-cool Cat Head in the Mississippi Delta.




 Three views of City Lights in Sylva, NC. That's me with Chris Wilcox, Emily Wilson-Perry and Jenifer Ross.



Cody Morrison, buyer extraordinaire at legendary Square Books in Oxford, MS. He and I both know the place would fall apart without him.



 Palm Beach has this wonderful little store, Classic Bookshop.



 Classic Book's Dan Foster, buyer, greeter and all around great guy.



 The Country Bookshop in idyllic Southern Pines, NC.


 Going over the catalogs (when we used them) with me is the lovely manager and buyer, Kimberly Daniels.




 I tried to convince Perseus to let me expand my territory but they turned me down flat.




 In the French Quarter of New Orleans sits Faulkner House Books.


 Here is owner Joe DeSalvo and all knowing Joanne Sealy.



 A view from Joe's house right above the store.




 Fiction Addiction is in Greenville, SC.





 Here is owner Jill Hendrix on the far right with her mom, Nancy McFarlane and ace employee, Melissa Oates.



Flyleaf is my indie in Chapel Hill, NC.



 It has an especially beautiful interior.






 The crew of the Garden District Bookshop in New Orleans, LA.,  Ted O'Brien, Amy Loewy, 
Britton Trice (who once received a check made out to Bitten Twice) 
and Carrie Chappell.



 Greenwood, the home of Turnrow Books.


 Jamie Kornegay, bookseller and now famous author.


 Jamie with his wonderful wife, Kelly. The blog I did on their home is one of the most popular ones I have done.




 The three of us during one of my visits.


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEga7yo0KdFVgsfx0Vbg6aV8n0bpvch9BJVelQZf97CQqQGc_K2doqeWMEq0n0YFeJWlgKhZ6xlMSuYcJlLu4zC9SuAfBy2YN2eEeCdC0VHuaSlRVNbq0bwK0dhYUuIXWh1wkj4iidWj1ZDe/s1600/Janet+Geddis+home+085.JPG
Athens, GA boasts the award winning Avid Bookshop.





 
When I visited  Avid,  owner Janet Geddis showed me her neighborhood swing.



 
You know I couldn't resist (I think I went higher than she did).


 The incredible Lemuria in Jackson, MS.


 And equally incredible owner, Johnny Evans.





 
My now hometown bookstore, Malaprop's.



 
 Malaprop's owner, the wonderful Emoke B'Racz (on the right) and her partner Gail, when I did a special post on their beautiful home.



And this vision of loveliness is Linda-Marie Barrett, head buyer, general manager and future wife of the author of this fine blog (sigh).
 Note the support for another famous Southern bookstore, Square Books.  



 Maple Street Bookshop in New Orleans.




 Here is manager of Maple Street, Gladin Scott and assistant buyer Maureen Iverson on the occasion of my last visit.



 Here at the SIBA in Naples, FL is the Perseus rep with authors Michael Kardos, Jamie Quatro and TD Allman.



 McIntyre's in Fearrington Village,  Pittsboro, NC




Mystery expert and buyer Pete Mock and employee Hannah Stusak.



 Another amazing bookstore in New Orleans is Octavia Books (on Octavia Street!)



 Owners Tom Lowenburg, his wife Judith Lafitte and official greeter, Pippin.




 It's hard to get more famous than Books & Books in Coral Gables, FL.






Here's Mitchell Kaplan contemplating my Edelweiss order.





From the post I did on Mitchell's home, his living room looks a lot like mine! And yours if you are a bookseller.


Here's Mitchell's wonderful wife Rachelle, Mitchell and daughter Anya.





One of my first blog posts ever was about this now famous bookstore, Parnassus Books in Nashville. The inset shows part owner (with author Ann Patchett) former Random House rep, Karen Hayes with employee Patrik Ward.



From my posting of the home of Nevada Barr and her husband Don Paxton.




The Regulator Bookshop in Durham, NC.




L-to-R, are Regulator's owners Tom Campbell and John Valentine, with Wander Lorentz de Haas, the weekend manager (and winner of the Guy-With-The-Coolest-Name Competition).



Robert Olen Butler and his wife Kelly at a SIBA convention.


Bob at his house in North Florida.





Two Okra Picks, author Patty Callahan Henry and yours truly at another SIBA convention.




The lovely Norton (and former PGW) rep, Kristin Keith.




On the occasion of my visit to UNC's Bull's Head Bookshop with ace buyer, Stacie Smith.





I love this note pasted on Stacie's door, a gift from a visiting 5th grader on a school field trip.





Manager Sheila Grange (on the far left) and the top notch crew at the Vero Beach Book Center in Vero Beach, FL.





On a Florida road trip I was able visit St. Augustine to meet Laura Lee Smith, author of Grove/Atlantic's Heart of Palm.


A quick sampling of the first couple of years of this blog. I still contend I have one of the most interesting and enjoyable jobs in the world, people who read, write, create and sell books help make this world a better place.














Comments

Popular Posts